Bachelor of Science in Information TechnologyJanuary 27, 2024 2024-02-07 12:22
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Introduction of the Program:
Introduction of the Program:
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is a proposal for a new degree program from the College of Information Technology at Lusail University. The program aims at graduating students with knowledge, skills, and abilities in their discipline to meet local, regional, and international employer’s needs. The program is consistent with the university's vision and mission and follows Lusail University Program initiation and Development Policy as well as the Ministry of Education and Higher Education guidelines for approving new degree programs. In addition, the program is aligned with the Qatar National Qualification Framework (2020). Finally, LU conducted a benchmark of similar programs in multiple universities locally, regionally, and internationally. The Program targets high school graduates (Qatar schools or international schools). In addition, the program will accept transfer students from other universities as long as they meet the admission criteria of Lusail University.
The vision of the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is to become the premier locally and internationally and to prepare experts in information technology who have advanced academic knowledge and are able to lead organizations.
Upon successful completion of the program students should be able to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem to enhance workable solutions.
- Apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the specialization.
- Demonstrate professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Demonstrate communication and teamwork skills in professional manner.
- Use systematic approaches to select, develop, apply, integrate, and administer secure computing technologies to accomplish user goals.
- Apply security principles and practices to maintain operations in the presence of risks and threats.
- Demonstrate skills in writing research-based manuscripts and/or, projects, and/or computing programs.
The World Economic Forum in 2018 predicted that the Job Landscape in 2022 will consist of 133 million new jobs and 75 million declining jobs. This is because there will be a shift in labor between humans and machines by 2025. It states that the future looks bright for data analysts, scientists, robotic engineers and business development professionals and AI specialist, software developers, IT services, new technology specialists, organization development specialist, and Big Data projects. Roles for which demand is decreasing include your data entry clerks (e-invoices), executive secretaries – admin jobs replaced by process automation, assembly and factory workers due to automation and other new technologies and innovation. In response to the global shifts in technology and its opportunities, Qatar’s national AI strategy is prominent for decision marking and future technology adaptation. It is divided into six pillars: (1) Race for Talent, (2) Data access, (3) Changing landscape for employment, (4) new business and economics opportunities, (5) Qatar – AI +X Focus area, and (6) Ethics and public policy. In summary, the role of data and AI has become more salient than previous decades, and thus the Qatar AI strategy is aligned and responsive to the changing global job landscape, emerging technology, trends, and opportunities and innovating both new and existing niche domains.
The LU undergraduate degree program in IT will give students the computing skills to enter industry, while also allowing them to acquire scientific skills in order to pursue graduate studies. The curriculum allows student to major on one area of interest to them most and that will set up for them future career. There are a number of positions that a graduate from the program will work:
- Solutions Developer
- System Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Software Quality Assurance
- Project Manager
- Database Administrator
- Business Analyst
- Information Technology Supervisor
- Cyber Security Analyst\Engineer
- Data Modeler\Designer
- Data Analyst\Scientist
- Network Specialist
- Web Frontend\Backend Developer
- Operation Analyst
- Machine Learning Developer
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Product Manager
- Business Analyst
- Analytics Consultant
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology will have the following learning objectives:
- Contribute to the success of organizations and communities through adopting a life-long research, adaptation, and implementation of technology.
- Enhance student theoretical knowledge skills in delivering practical solution to real computing cases.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of technical and ethical practice.
- Provides opportunities for students to acquire competency levels in IT by engaging in continuous self-development, certification, and graduate studies.
- Demonstrate to students’ evaluative approaches to maintain operational continuity and quality
The English language track:
Applicant must be proficient in the English language and is considered to meet the admission requirements if he/she:
- Is a graduate of private or international schools (IGCSE, American Diploma, Canadian Diploma, International Baccalaureate,…) inside or outside the State of Qatar where the teaching language is English and has obtained an average of (65%) or higher
- Has achieved success in the High School Diploma or its equivalent and has obtained an average of (5.5) or higher in the IELTS