Bachelor of Education – Major in Teaching English LanguageDecember 6, 2023 2024-02-07 12:18
Bachelor of Education – Major in Teaching English Language
Introduction of the Program:
Introduction of the Program:
The Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching is a new proposed degree program by the College of Education and Arts at Lusail University. The program provides a broad and in-depth study teaching English language and is designed to prepare students to become effective English teachers in K-12 as well as at other institutions that provide English language training to adult learners. Graduates will have the knowledge, skills, and abilities in their discipline to meet local, regional, and international labor market needs. The Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching is consistent with the university’s vision and mission and follows Lusail University Program Initiation and Development Policy as well as the Ministry of Education and Higher Education guidelines for approving new degree programs. In addition, the program is aligned with Qatar National Qualification Framework (2020).
To provide students with the knowledge and skills for understanding nuances of the English language and using it effectively in professional contexts. To equip students with the necessary tools to be effective teachers and educators including how to use state of the art technology, apply research methods, critical analysis, and advanced pedagogical methods and assessments. To prepare students for graduate studies in the field of English language teaching.
The program learning outcomes for the Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching describe the skills, competencies and knowledge that the students will display and possess at the completion of their degree program. Program learning outcomes are assessed regularly at the College of Education and Arts through major required and major elective courses to ensure students have achieved the intended learning outcomes for the program. Data collected from the assessment of student learning outcomes is used as an instrument to improve the quality of the academic program as well as student learning. The following are the program learning outcomes for the Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching:
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in spoken English.
- Plan effective instruction to maximize school-student learning.
- Use English knowledge and skills in context of instruction.
- Demonstrate theoretical knowledge in the field.
- Demonstrate ethics and/or ethical practice in education.
- Use technology in making data driven decisions in education.
- Engage in scholarship and research by expanding on knowledge of English Language Teaching.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in written English.
There are a number of employment opportunities for the graduate of the Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching program. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- English teachers at K-12 schools, higher education institutions and English learning centers as adult education teachers
- Language analysts
- Data linguists
- Professional translators and interpreters
- Professional language editors in the field of media, journalism and advertising
- Public Relations Officer in all government and private sectors
- Consultants at embassies, consulates and international organizations
- Curriculum developers
- Pursue graduate studies in English Language Teaching (ELT), TESOL, Linguistics, or Translation Studies
The following are the educational learning objectives for the Bachelor of Education in English Language Teaching program.
- Develop students’ proficiency in the English language at the oral and written levels.
- Provide students with content and pedagogical knowledge as professional educators to pursue teaching as a lifelong career.
- Provide students with the essential technical, analytical, and research skills to contribute to the knowledge base in EFL education.
- Prepare students to conduct themselves ethically in an educational context.
- Prepare students to become global citizens aware of diversity in the classroom and outside.
The English language track:
Applicant must be proficient in the English language and is considered to meet the admission requirements if he/she:
- Is a graduate of private or international schools (IGCSE, American Diploma, Canadian Diploma, International Baccalaureate,…) inside or outside the State of Qatar where the teaching language is English and has obtained an average of (65%) or higher
- Has achieved success in the High School Diploma or its equivalent and has obtained an average of (5.5) or higher in the IELTS